The Canon 580EX II is the premier Speedlite for all photographers, including professionals. Newly designed to improve dust- and water-resistance, and body strength. The Speedlight 580EX II is the most powerful and most-capable flash from Canon.
Key Features of Canon 580EX II
- Approx. 20% faster recycling time compared to 580EX
- Superior build quality, including a metal foot for higher rigidity
- Max. Guide No. 58 at 105mm setting (GN 190, feet)
- Auto conversion of flash coverage with compatible digital SLR cameras
- White Balance info communicated instantly to compatible digital SLR cameras
- Full swivel, 180° in either direction
- AF-assist beam, compatible with all AiAF points on every EOS SLR
- Dust- and water- resistance
- Incorporates A Built-In Wireless Transmitter Which Can Control Other Speedlite 580EX, 420EX and 550EX Units Set Up As Slave Units
- Attaches Directly To Camera’s External Hot Shoe
- Compatible with all Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras inlcuding the popular 350D, 400D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, and the professional EOS 1D Mark III
- Also compatible with PowerShots G9, G7, S5 IS, Pro1, G6, G5, G3 and G2
The main differences between Canon 430EX and Canon 580EX II is the amount of light each can provide. The 430EX has a Guide Number of 141′ (43 m) while the Speedlight 580 EX II has a Guide Number of 190′ (58 m) (both at 105mm). The 430EX is not under powered for many uses, but the 580EX II’s significant power advantage can become important when using a flash modifier such as an umbrella, softbox or diffuser – or bouncing light off a high ceiling. In addition to being more powerful, the 580EX II allows 1/1 (full power) to 1/128 power in 1/3-stop increments while the 430EX allows power settings from 1/1 to 1/64 in more granular 1-stop increments.
Like the previous Speedlites 580EX and 550EX, the Canon Speedlight 580EX II can be used as a master to trigger remote Canon wireless slave flashes while the 430EX can only act as a slave flash. Any number of Canon Speedlites 420EX, 430EX, 550EX, 580EX, and 580EX II can be combined as slave units.
Canon Speedlit 580EX II Specification
- Compatible Cameras
E-TTL operation with all EOS digital SLRs; PowerShot G2, G3, G5, G6, and Pro1; and the following EOS film cameras – EOS-1v, EOS-3, Elan 7N series, Elan 7 series, Elan II series, Rebel T2, Ti, K2, GII, G.
TTL operation with all other 35mm EOS SLRs, and Canon T90.
- Guide Number
190 (at ISO 100, feet) / 58 (meters); flash head at 105mm zoom setting
- Number of Flashes
Approx. 100 to 700, with fresh AA-size alkaline batteries
- Recycling Time
Approx. 0.1 to 6 seconds, with fresh AA-size alkaline batteries
- Flash Range
(At ISO 100, with 50mm f/1.4 lens at f/1.4) – Approx. 1.6 to 98.4 feet / 0.5 to 30m
- AF Assist Beam
Built-in; covers all focus points in EOS cameras with 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, or 45 AF points; Distance range – 2 to 32.8 feet (0.6 to 10m) at center; 2 to 16.4 feet (0.6 to 5m) at periphery
- Custom Functions
Fourteen Speedlite Custom Functions built-in; set on Speedlite’s LCD panel
Four AA-size batteries – alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable Ni-MH usable
- External Power Source
External power supply – compatible with Dust- and water- Resistant External Power Pack, Canon battery pack CP-E3 and Transistor Pack E
3.0 x 5.3 x 4.5 inches /76 x 134 x 114mm
13.2 oz./375g, without batteries (4 AA alkaline batteries add 3.5 oz./100g)
These Canon Speedlite 580EX II flash units are brand new in retail box with full 12 months warranty.