The Canon Speedlite 270EX flash adds power and flexibility for enhanced flash photography anywhere. Light, compact and small enough to fit in your pocket, Speedlite 270EX features 2-step coverage for 28mm and 50mm focal lengths, plus a highly useful bounce-flash function for amazingly easy, polished results. Powered by 2 AA batteries (not included), canon 270EX is easily set-up and controlled through your camera’s menu system (with select models), communicates color temperature information with your camera for optimal white balance and recharges silently in less than 4 seconds. An indispensable complement to your Canon camera, Speedlite 270EX is a perfect extension of your photographic genius.
The Canon Speedlite 270EX flash is compatible with all EOS camera bodies, the canon G-series including G9, G10, and G11, many Canon super zoom SX-series cameras.
The Canon Speedlite 270EX flashgun has only one control – an on/off switch! The head can be manually tilted with 4 click stops up to 90 and it can also be manually zoomed to cover the areas seen by 28 and 50mm lenses (for EF-S lenses the coverage would be optimized for for 17.5mm at the wider setting and 31.25mm lenses at the longer setting). Of course there is no problem with using lenses with longer focal lengths. The flash will more than cover the area seen by a 100mm, 200mm or even 600mm lens, it’s just that in that case some of the light is “wasted” because it’s outside the field of view of the lens. If the lens has focal length below 17mm you’ll see darker corners and edges.
There is a flash ready light on the back of the Canon 270EX, but no test fire button.
Canon 270EX Key Features
- Compact, lightweight design compatible with PowerShot cameras (G-series and select SX-series) and all EOS SLR and DSLR cameras
- 28mm and 50mm settings (manual)
- E-TTL (II) operation. Manual power can be set from compatible cameras (but not on the flash itself)
- Tilt head for bounce lighting
- Simple set-up using the camera’s rear monitor (with compatible cameras)
- Colour temperature communication with compatible digital cameras
- Optimized recycling time (approx. 0.1 to 3.9 seconds)
- Powered by 2 AA batteries
- Metal foot (stronger than plastic)
- Note that there is no infrared (or red) AF assist light. The flash tube strobes for AF assist.
- Note that the Canon270EX has no wireless capability and cannot be used as a slave in a wireless flash set-up.
Canon 270EX Specifications
- Type Mode: E-TTL II, E-TTL
- Compatible Cameras
All Canon EOS cameras; PowerShot G-series cameras and select SX-series cameras
- Guide Number
72 ft./22m (at ISO 100); flash head at 28mm zoom setting
89 ft./27m (at ISO 100); flash head at 50mm zoom setting
- Recycling Time
Normal flash: Approx. 0.1 to 3.9 seconds; Quick flash: 0.1 to 2.6 seconds (AA-size Alkaline Batteries)
- Flash Range
(At ISO 100, with EF 50mm f/1.4)
For normal (28mm): 2.3-51.5 ft./0.7-15.7m
For tele end (50mm): 2.3-63.3 ft./0.7-19.3m
For high sync speed (at 1/250 second): Approx. 2.3-24.9 ft./0.7-7.6m
- AF Assist Beam
Intermittent flash firing system
At center: Approx. 13.1 ft./4m
Periphery: Approx. 11.5 ft./3.5m (in total darkness)
- Bounce / Swivel Up: 60°, 75°, 90°
- Custom Functions
C.Fn-01: Auto power off (Enabled/Disabled)
C.Fn-06: Quick flash during continuous shooting (Enabled/Disabled)
- Power Source Two AA-size/LR6 Alkaline Batteries
- Dimensions 2.5 x 2.6 x 3.0 in./64 x 65 x 76.5mm
- Weight 5.1 oz./145g (without batteries)
Canon speedlit 270ex flash is brand new in retail box, full 2 years warranty.